I love the fresh change of a tart dessert instead of something chocolate and heavy. Don’t get me wrong – I will never turn down a warm brownie, but if faced with the choice between rich chocolate and a refreshing tart dessert…I will usually choose tart unless my sweatpants are at arms reach.
There are a lot of key lime pie recipes out there and most all of them are pretty simple. I’ve tried a few different recipes and tend to stick with the ones that list fewer egg yolks. Lately I’ve been sticking with this recipe and it doesn’t disappoint!
- 1 graham cracker pie crust (or if you want to make your own it only requires graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar)
- 1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (or key limes if you’re feeling like staying true to your pie, I understand)
- 1 TB lime zest (optional)
- cool whip for topping OR heavy whipping cream + 2 TB sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Mix lime zest, juice and egg yolks together well. Add sweetened condensed milk and beat with whisk until blended well. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake for 15 minutes. Once pie is removed from oven and cool, refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
To make whipped cream, combine one cup of heavy whipping cream with 2 TB sugar and mix with an electric mixer until stiff and fluffy.
Thank you so much for reading! XO –